Interview with a Friend



SEARCH FOR THE HOLY GRAIN

Interview with a friend


Friend:
Koen, that looks like a really interesting bread that you made, can you tell me more about it and what you are doing?



Koen:”You know how so many people today suffer from allergies, struggle with weight issues and that they can't eat bread anymore?

That is because the grain is severely degenerated, because of modern farming techniques, and this has been going on for more than a hundred years!

What I do is to make bread that is made from grains that are not degenerated, that are uncorrupted. Grains that have been cultivate from wild grasses”.

Friend: “What do you mean by degenerated?”

Koen:”Plants, and human beings for that matter, take not only nutrition from the soil, but also from the light of the sun and many other cosmic forces. By feeding the plant chemical fertilizer we kind of cut off the connection between the plant and the earthly and heavenly forces, the plant becomes weak and lazy.
Chemical fertilizer has increased the yield of wheat by 8 or twelve fold. But it also increased the carbohydrate content, at the expense of other nutrients like protein, minerals, vitamins, Omega3 oils, etc.
So modern wheat has less protein, and gluten is part of the protein. To still make decent bread out of it a gluten was developed that is extra powerful, more stretchable.
Add to this the fact that at the same time chemical fertilizer came in use, also compressed ,monoculture yeast was used to leaven the bread much faster. That left no time for the bacteria to pre-digest the gluten and other important nutrients.
So now you understand why degenerated grain and bread with yeast can make it hard to digest”.

Friend:”Where did you find this grain and how did this all get started?”

Koen:”Well you brought me over to Mr. and Mrs.Rossi's house. And Mr. Rossi was a retired science teacher, and a home bread baker. So we started talking about bread. I told what I knew and he said I should really teach a class. I had developed my own natural leaven in the 1980's when I had my bakery in Holland. So I wanted to teach that bread, which was inspired by Hugo Erbe, who had made a leaven based on the honey/salt recipe with the addition of pea flour. When I did some research on Hugo Erbe, I also discovered that he had been working on the regeneration of the grain, starting from wild grasses. That seemed pretty incredible to me. I started to ask around if anybody in this country was growing the Erbe grain. I got in touch with all the experts in bio-dynamic farming. They knew about it, but no one was growing it. Finally I was directed to Caroline Gordon who was a German baker in Harlemville NY.
She said I should contact her old neighbor at the Keyserlingk Institute in Southern Germany. They themselves did not have the grain, but Hugo Erbe had had his farm right in their neigborhood, and there may be a breeder who might still have this grain. Mind you Hugo Erbe died in 1965, but there had been some efforts to grow his miracle grain. He accomplished everything and more that modern farming is trying to accomplish, not with chemical methods but through spiritual science. You have to read about it in “Hugo Erbe's New Bio-Dynamic Preparations”, available from the Bio-Dynamic Farming Association.
I decided I had to go to Germany, and look for it in person. I went to the Keyserlingk Institute, which very graciously gave me hospitality, and one day researcher Udo took me to this breeder. This man had devoted his life to this grain, but he was frustrated that no one really wanted to work with it, probably because it took real dedication, because otherwise it had the tendency to return to its wild origin. The grains were all neatly organized in boxes maybe not touched in several years
Both Udo and I looked at it and immediately we felt an emotional shock looking at the beauty of this grain and felt that this was the real thing. I took some of the spelt and Udo took most of the other grains. We planted in the fall, he in Germany I in Harlemville NY. We both saw that the germination rate was nearly perfect, even after all those years, a sign of strong Life Forces.

It will take a few years to increase it to have enough for bread baking, this is why I really need to go back, besides I found out a few other farmers may be growing it in Northern Italy and Southern Germany.
In the mean time I have made some wonderful breads from rye and spelt which are not as degenerated as modern wheat. And I get great results, hard to tell even the difference in rising power compared with bakers yeast. I believe I am ready to try croissants with my leaven.”

Friend:”What is your ultimate goal?”

Koen:”You see there is a much greater issue behind the gluten allergies. This is basically the breakdown of our immune system and can lead way beyond to hardly being able to digest any food, not just wheat.
What is going on is the withdrawal of the Life Forces, because of that disconnect between the earthly and cosmic forces, because of modern farming techniques. You can't just increase yield 8 or twelve times and not see any consequences. World hunger is not as severe a crisis as it was, but now we are overfed and under nourished.
What is needed in the world is a different attitude towards life, an attitude of dedication. I like to say production invites corruption. We need to develop a spiritual science, as Austrian philosopher Rudolf Steiner has urged us to do back in the 1920's. Almost 100 years have past since then. If we cannot return to the spiritual path, to go with God, Vaya Con Dios, then we are doomed to fail. I really like this beautiful prayer by Adam Bittleston, where he says:

As we go out into the world as we have made it,
Everywhere there speaks to us forgetfulness of the Spirit
If human work were to be without love the earth would become a bleak and barren desert.
Through forgetfulness of the Spirit, Love ebbs away.
Bring to mind in us o Christ,
Inspirer of true human love
How we have come to the earth from the fields of Light
From the heights of the spirit.
May remembrance of God grow strong in our souls
Overcoming the mists which hide the meaning in the work of each day.”

My work has just begun, I have to do much research and testing, visit farmers, breeders and bakers over in Europe, so that bread can be the healthy staff of life again, and people can eat Life Giving healthy bread. To support this project is to support the continuation of healthy life on earth.

Thank you for your support!